Guten Morgen!
I arrived in Berlin yesterday afternoon, after a quick few flights through Paris. Everything worked perfectly, and I was so glad to know that my luck in Mexico did not follow me to Europe! Instead, everything ran smooth and I arrived at my hostel around 4:30pm. Even though I hadn't slept in over 24 hours, I met with a friend of a friend, Teal, to get over my jet lag. We went to dinner with her friend Marco, from Berlin and had Kaffee und Kuchen after. It was really a lovely way to be welcomed to my new year abroad, with a familiar language and nice faces.
I went to bed early last night and slept for almost ten hours, but after three hours wandering around this part of the city, I went back to bed for six hours. I am just now returning from going out to dinner with Amanda, a friend from Germany class in Seattle, and her boyfriend and friends. I was thinking how I already have more friends in this city than I ever did in Bremen.
So much of my approach to this trip is based on my previous year in Germany. Part of the first experience has prepared me: I speak German, I know the culture, I can better approach people, but part of it makes it hesitant to put myself out there again. It's hard to imagine trying to make friends again, living with a host family, dealing with a culture with whom I greatly clashed. These last few days have been fantastic in settling any fears I have about this, as I have met many friendly and open Germans, but I think this will be my greatest learning curve.
eh. So ist das Leben.
I will be moving in with my family on Wednesday and our Orientation starts on Thursday. Until then, I plan on getting to know Berlin and finding the best clothes to ward against this Alaskan winter!
Lots of love,
Tess
Friday, January 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment