Saturday, January 24, 2009

Poor, but Sexy

Hallo Alle!

I know it's been a while since I've updated my blog, but with all of the things I've been doing it's hard to find the time to actually write about them! In any case, we were going to go to Hamburg today, but decided not to, so I have a bit of extra time to write a bit!

The first two weeks of class have been great. I switched down from the highest level of German into the second which was, I think, a good decision. I am now one of the better speakers in my class, but am definitely benefiting from the review of grammar and the extensive language rules that makes German the language of rule makers and keepers. Geesh! There are only five of us in the class, so it's a lot of one-on-one instruction, and we even went out on Thursday for a coffee and watched a movie based on a book by Thomas Mann. Other than German, I'm taking two other "content" courses which are about modern German and European politics. So far I'm enjoying them as well!

As part of our "extended classroom", we do full group excursion every few weeks. Last friday we all went to German Chancellory where Angela Merkel works. It was an interesting tour, although we didn't get to see much of the building where people actually work, but it definitely gives a good impression of the importance of symbolism in German politics and architecture. For instance, The chancellory is intentionally built to not stand higher than the Reichtag (the place of German Parliament) which is across the street, to remind the Chancellor that his/her role is not above the rule of the Bundestag (the lower, but more powerful house). Anyway, we did get to see the room where Merkel meets with her cabinet members and there's even symbolism to where the members sit! I really should go to Washington D.C... maybe we have all of this too.

Gifts to German leaders are also on display in the main hall and guess what Bush gave Merkel? A set of Broadway Musical DVDs. So among gold daggers and hand carved tribal chess sets, is a copy of Chicago...

Speaking of Presidents, however, yay!! We have a new one! Obama's speech fell right in the middle of one of my classes, but our teacher, Dirk, pulled down the overheard projector and we streamed cnn.com's live coverage. What a fantastic gathering. However, it has been especially interesting to be from the United States, a country who identifies so strongly with their flag, their national anthem, their president, their God, and to be in a country who is still recovering from the horror of what nationalism can do. Flag's aren't flown except in football games, the personal life of their leader is not considered appropriate for discussion, and never would you hear a German politician ask for God's grace on his country. As we said in Rotary, it's not better, it's not worse, it's just different. Different, and important to be aware of.

On a lighter note, I'm starting to explore the city a bit more! My friend Madeline (picture of the two of us) met this old man who invited us to a 50's dance club where he's a DJ. About nine of us went and we had the best time twisting, swinging and laughing until past 4am! Berlin's neighbors are also very fun and interesting to explore. My friend Casey suggested Kreuzberg and it's definitely the hip (as my mom would say) place to be. Really happenin'! A large section of it is mainly Turkish and houses many international bars and cafes as well as just has a fun, young, artsy feeling! As the Mayor of Berlin said about his city, "poor, but sexy!" So true.

I continue to enjoy living with Heide and Siggi. I'm not here a lot, but when I am, I enjoy their company and stories. This past Thursday we ate dinner together, and then sat for three hours and drank wine and talked. We joke a lot about their previous american home-stay students, all of whom were conservative, we talk about Obama and America, we talk about Berlin before the fall of the wall and about the tension since it has come down. Such a source of history and experience.

I should go. I went on a good run today, which was lovely, but now have homework to be done and beers to be drank before the weekend is out!

I hope everyone is doing well and I wish you a fantastic beginning to Obama-time!

Love,
Tess

1 comment:

  1. OMG ICH LIEBE KREUZBERG. that's where i stayed when i was there cause that's where ben lives.

    koennte ich zu dir kommen? ich vermisse dich und auch Europa. find mir einen Mann mit Geld.

    ReplyDelete