I apologize for being rather lax on my blog updating! It’s been a bit crazy since I got back from Norway on Tuesday.
I flew up to Norway last two Thursdays ago to visit my friend Lucas Franco from Seattle U for the weekend. Lucas recently had an accident, which, added to the snow, greatly reduced his mobility around town, but we had a great time anyway!
I spent the first two days catching up and hanging out with him and his parents, Gary and Alberta. Lucas is doing his masters degree in peace and conflict studies at the University of Oslo and has been there since June, so he made a list of things for me to do and sent me out with his dad on my third day in town. We trekked through the sculpture park, saw the royal castle, explored downtown a bit, saw the harbor and fell asleep in a coffee shop! Gary is quite a hoot (god, I AM my mother), so it’s like traveling with your own pocket philosopher. By the end of the day, we were exhausted- the snow in Oslo was up to my knees and quite difficult to walk through!
The next day, Lucas’ roommate, Dan from the Midwest, and his friend, Max from Germany, took me out cross-country skiing. A common mistake that many people make is that because I’m from Alaska, I must be good at outdoorsy sports and things. I’m not, I’m awful at all of them. They were incredibly great though, and very patient as a hacked away at the snow banks, fell over, and was continually stared at by the onlooking Norwegians. Probably because I was wearing Gary’s rain pants and a wool peacoat. I wasn’t quite a chic as they all are!
Anyway, it was great to see Lucas and his family and fun to have a bit of a relaxing time outside of Berlin. My trip home as not as relaxing, however. I was only supposed to be in Paris for 45 minutes on my way home (I know it sounds really out of the way to fly through Paris, but I didn’t realize there was a direct flight!). Instead, I had 24 hours there due to massive wind storms! Air France was nice enough to put me up in a hotel and feed me for the night, which I suppose was unusual for airlines, but I don’t do well when plans change, and I was very upset. Who would have thought that my first bit of homesickness would have been FOR Germany, and not against it!
Now I’m home, safe, and mostly warm. We have midterms this week, so this weekend has been spent reading, note taking, and trying to catch up after France stole a few of my school days. ☺ I had a fun weekend though regardless- On Saturday, we all went to the soccer game between Hertha Berlin and Bayern Munich. It was exciting to be in the environment, even though I’m not a big fan. But we won! And against Bayern— I don't know anything about soccer and know that's impressive!
This coming Thursday, Madeline and I are going to Madrid for four days and then I’m meeting up with our friend Matt and we’re going to Rome for another few days. I keep having these ideas that I’m going to get off the plane and suddenly want to wear flipflops, but from what I remember from 4 years ago in Barelona, it wasn’t even that warm in April! Maybe I will pack a sweater.
I hope you’re all doing splendidly and that you had a very happy Valentine’s Day!
Deine,
Tess
P.S. Here are a few photos! -- a castle, gary showing me around a sculpture park, dressed in full garb at the game!
Leave it to you to be extremely excited about a sport you aren't completely familiar with just to hang out with the boys...
ReplyDeletehaha just kidding.
what happened to Lucas?!
awesome stuff. As you can imagine, I am very jealous that you got to see BM but not so jealous that you saw them lose. Good luck on midterms.
ReplyDelete