Ciao!
We've finally arrived in BELLA ROMA!
Our last day in Madrid didn't quite go as planned, because all of the trains to Toledo were booked! Apparently the phrase HOLY TOLEDO refers to the line trying to buy tickets and not actually the small city itself. So instead of exploring the former capital of spain, we stuck to the current one. The weather in Madrid was beautiful the whole time we were there, but our last day was especially lovely, so Madeline and I packed up a lunch and headed for a beautiful park in the Centro. We spend four hours there, reading, sleeping (don't worry, we took turns) and soaking up the Vitamin D I have needed since running out of my SUNNY GUMMIES! We went back to the small subarb, Torrajon, where we were staying with our hosts, Pancho and Anis, made dinner and spent the evening swapping youtube videos.
Using Couchsurfing ended up being the perfect decision. Even though we were a little disappointed to be a ways outside the city (about 45 minutes), we saved upwarts of 60 Euros on lodging and got to see Madrid through the eyes of locals. Well, and a Frenchman. Anis did say that if you want to truly experience Spain, Madrid is probably not the place to do it- instead, he suggested, try the smaller towns in Southern Spain. I think I would agree. We enjoyed Madrid, but it was hard to escape the touristy centers without being in the middle of nowhere. Hard to find the Spanish life.
Not so in Italy. Since arriving yesterday morning in Rome, I feel so much more at home! Even just in the week I spent here two years ago, I feel decently equiped to make my way around the city (I can also find Campo di Fiori and can tell Matt when it's time to go!)
We spent Most of yesterday exploring the Colloseum, but didn't go inside, and the ancient Roman ruins around it. We wandered through the old Jewish Ghetto and found a little hidden bakery where I got what tasted like flat benets (sp?)... mmmmmm Powered sugar.
We took a siesta, as one does in Italy, and then went to the Pantheon for dinner and had Gelato at FR. Cobb's favorite place Giolitti's! So good!
This morning we walked to the other side of town to the Vatican. I had forgotten today was Ash Wednesday and was very confused why it was bustling with people more so than it was in July. It was amazing though, and I sat in on a Mass going on at one of the minor Chapels in St. Peter's.
After exploring the church for about an hour, and me imparting all of my Roman wisdom onto Matt, we hiked the 300+ steps to the top of the dome and enjoyed the breathtaking view of the Vatican and the surrounding area. I bought some postcards at the top and am especially happy that I found a little St. Christopher charm.
Matt and I then split ways, and I went to Campo di Fiori (where we stayed two years ago)and ate lunch at a little bistro called Forno, that my friend Sonya had suggested.
Italy is truly something special. There is a passion for life, for beauty, that exists here that simply doesn't other places. I forget everytime I leave and think that I've been here enough times, that I've seen what there is to see. But I think in some places, it isn't what there is to see that is facinating and worthwhile, it is the feeling, the lifestyle, that is embedded in every facet of the culture...
Tomorrow morning I'm meeting up with Dr. Andrews for a coffee and a little chat, which will be great! I loved spending time with him in Italy two years ago and I'm excited to hear about his sabatical and the things he's working on!
Ah. La bella vita. Can't complain. truly can't.
Love you all, happy lent.
Tess
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Ahh, so glad that you got that fab gelato :) I'm glad Rome is treating you well, and am happy to hear that it's as good as the first time. Enjoy, carissima!
ReplyDeleteLara, love. It will never be as good as the last time. Nothing compares to our time together....
ReplyDelete