Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Athens!

Natalie and I made it to Athens!!

buuuut first, I had my 21st Birthday!! Natalie and I went to an exhibit of the Chinese Terracotta army in Prague- we learned a lot and got to see a recreation on a 10-1 scale as well as a part of it recreated in life-sized figured.. It was truly beautiful and a neat culture experience, although it had very little to do with Prague! Then we met up with Rose who went to buy her train ticket to Slovakia, and all of us went to the Jewish Cemetery and one of the Jewish Museums. The cemetery was incredibly moving to walk through... we read about the lives of Czech Jews before, after, and during the second world war.. and then visited the museum which houses pictures drawn by czech jewish children in concentration camps who were taught by a woman to draw and paint and express themselves.. and the importance of it especially in such a time... In any case, the museum and cemetery were very intense, but also gave the three of us food for thought.

After exploring the Jewish quarter, we walked down to the Charles Brige and found an Australian couple who rented paddle boats. we got out of the water and took turns paddling around the island... it was lovely to get away from the heat, but enjoy the sun.. and our boat was number 17, like my birthday!

After paddle boating we made our way to the vegetarian restaurant sonya had suggested. It was the sister restaurant to the one we had eaten at the night before, although I think we enjoyed the first one a bit more.. cheaper and lighter- this one we could barely see our delicious food! We did Birthday Questions- both serious and funny and answered the question my mother had requested we answer- what I and what my friends wish for me in the coming year. It was a lovely night of celebrating life, friendship, and love...

We then went to bed. I realize I may have failed as a recent 21 year old, but after our long days and a glass of wine, the last thing i wanted to do were any type of shots!

Next morning we said goodbye to Rose and Nat and I borded a plane first for LOndon and then for Athens (I know, out of our way).. We got here last night and after a bit of confusion- I somehow manage to always confuse numbers- we found our couchsurfer Dimitris' house and Enjoyed his top floor balony with him and his two other couchsurfers... we slept outside last night and woke up early today to explore Athens..

It's funny here. Besides Prague and Budapest, I've never been to a city where the Alphabet is so different from my own.. You wouldn't necessarily think it was that big of a deal, but holding a map that is in English while trying to read Greek street signs... Needless to say, we use Natalie's mastery of the Greek Alphabet quite often! So today is our one day in Athens.. We're walking around, seeing the sights, and then tomorrow we're off to Santorini for four days.. We have heard mixed reviews about it- mostly that's it not a party island- which we're fine with anyway- so we're excited to lay on the beach and enjoy our time together at the end of my time here and just the beginning of Natalie's!

I'll update you all again when we get to Italy... Thank you so much for the great birthday wishes!

in love and in peace,
Tess

No comments:

Post a Comment