Hello my lovely cyber friends,
I know it's been a long time since I've written anything at all, and have now plunged into the craziness that is a Europe trip, but suffice it to say that I am still happy and healthy.
My good friend Natalie from Seattle U arrived about a week ago in Berlin. I think I've mentioned this before, but we are traveling for a few weeks before she continues on to Moscow, Russia for four months to study Mathematics. I felt so lucky to have her in Berlin with me for my last few days- we did touristy things: the Free Tour that I rave about, we saw the East Side Gallery, we went to the Badeschiff(everyone's favorite pool in the middle of the river)... and we caught up over good food and beers. It was also so fantastic to be able to introduce her to all of my Berlin friends- people who are still a huge part of my life and consciousness, and to at least have one Seattle friend who I can be like-- remember Lucy? or Sonya? or Daire? I had a little going away get together/birthday party at Silberfisch- class class- and was actually surprised at how many people showed up! It was so fun to have people I'd met from all over Berlin come together... I had German friends and Spanish friends and Australian friends.. It was a great ending to my time in Berlin.
Then, On saturday morning, Nat and I dropped the sheets we were using off at Lucy's, gave her a quick kiss, and caught out 8:30am train for Prague. We met this lovely man Vladimir on the train- a Ukrainian guy who had grown up in Berlin, so he could simultaneously compliment my German skills and help Natalie with her Learn-to-speak-Russian tapes... In true Mom fashion, I had also printed off information and Czech phrases to read and go over.. we shared those with Vlad as well.. Best friends.
When we got to Prague, we explored and took the most out of the way route to get to the clock tower- we live about 13 minutes away and it took us 3 hours... we had a great day exploring and although Nat's camera disappeared somewhere along the way, ended our time with wine, bruscetta and dessert at a wine bar near the powder tower..
Sunday morning Rose Slavkovsky arrived! She is another one of my best friends in Seattle. Rose spent the summer working for Unicef in Geneva and flew out to spend my birthday with me here and then go to Slovakia to visit family! The three of us did the Free Tour, here in Prague, but had the worst Tour guide ever, so switch tours, and enjoyed it much more.. We then walked up to this huge pendulum which represents the time lost during the communist occupation, because apparently nothing happened here during that time.. There was a biergarten up there and we sat and enjoyed the beautiful sprawling view of Prague from above until we got too hungry.
We then found this amazing vegetarian restaurant which was the sister restaurant to one that we had been suggested and that we're trying to go to tonight.. it was amazing.. truly fresh and delicious food. We enjoyed wine and each others' company and then wandered home through the streets of Prague..
I am so happy right now and could now ask for a better birthday. I was awoken by Rose and Natalie singing happy birthday to me and a beautiful card from Rose and a note from our couchsurfing hosts...
it's such a beautiful city.. today's my birthday and we're doing a bit of internet this morning, then going to the terracotta army,which is here right now, and exploring the jewish cemetery, which Paul Eismann said influenced him in the design of the Holocaust Memorial in Berlin, and then renting paddle boats before hopefully enjoying another fulfilling vegetarian meal.. :)
I know it sounds strange for a 21st birthday, but then I think we'll be going to bed, since we have to wake up very early tomorrow for our flight to Athens.. I also think it's seems strange to go out big when i've been legally drinking for the past 8 months... why celebrate now. I'm excited to celebrate my birthday with two great friends, but would also love to remember it.
this is probably long enough right now. If you've made it through this, i'm impressed!
in peace and love,
Tess
Monday, August 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm glad to hear that you're doing well and had a fab b-day. Enjoy the rest of your summer, and have safe travels!! xoxo
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeletehappy birthday my darling! i'm so glad that you had such a fantastic day. and with such amazing company! sounds like it couldn't have been better. can't wait to see you! love you.
ReplyDelete