I don't think I've ever been on a vacation that has been as relaxing and enjoyable as this one has turned out to be.. I remember vaguely going to Mexico with my family when I was 15, but my time was consumed with correspondance work I was supposed to be doing and, unable to fully appreciate the beauty that is napping and laying on the beach for days on end, I remember being quite bored.
The first two days Natalie and I had in Santorini, Greece, we laid on the beach and soaked in some much needed vitamin D. After the long Berlin winter and the strange summer that followed, the only thing I needed was sunlight and a little tan.. check check.. yesterday we took a break from our tiresome chore of dividing up our time between sleeping, eating, laying, and reading to get out of Perissa, the small beach town on Santorini where we've been staying.. we took the bus up to Fira (or Thira, depending on who you talk to), wandered around a little bit through its extremely touristy center, and then hiked 3 hours up to Oia, another small town at the top tip of the island, famous for their beautiful sunsets... the hike was beautiful-- we were completely alone and enjoyed the breath-taking views and the massive cliffs..
Once we got to Oia, we found a beautiful deserted restaurant where we enjoyed the view of the infamous sunset from its rooftop terrace and made friends with the waiter and all of the tables around us.. so lovely. we then piled back into the bus headed down the island and eventually made it back to our humble hostel on the south east side of the island..
today was more beach laying, i got a massage, and we packed up our stuff... tomorrow we're off to Rimini, Italy where we will be meeting up with a friend of mine, Redmund, who I met in Rome when I was there in February.
I can't wait for Italy, and I can't wait for Berlin, and to be honest... I look forward most of all to landing at the Sea/Tac airport and beginning a new chapter in my life... or beginning again.. or re-evaluating.. or perhaps all three..
here's the new adventures and old friends,
tess
Monday, August 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
YAY! i love this post. i can't wait to see you
ReplyDeletei like this quote: There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have changed. - Nelson Mandela
fantastic quote, katie, thanks for that!
ReplyDelete